In addition to the amazing LEGO models created by builders all over the world, The Brothers Brick brings you the best of LEGO news and reviews. This is our weekly Brick Report for the third week of February 2019, which was marked by one of the biggest global events in the toy industry, the New York Toy Fair 2019.
There was a crazy amount of new LEGO set announcements this week, but did you catch them all? Read on to find out more about each and every one along with our close-up reports.
TBB LEGO SET ANNOUNCEMENTS: LEGO revealed a whole bunch of new sets, from Star Wars to Jurassic World and from The Flintstones to Toy Story 4. Which are you most excited about?
- LEGO Star Wars Resistance and Action Battle sets – Here’s your first look at the newest LEGO Star Wars sets, featuring new characters, locations and awesome vehicles.
- LEGO Ideas The Flintstones set – Have a Yabba Dabba Do time with the new LEGO Ideas Flintstones set, available next week.
- LEGO Hidden Side series – LEGO’s new Hidden Side is a series of haunted sets that feature augmented reality to release the hidden ghosts.
- LEGO Jurassic World: Legend of Isla Nublar sets – LEGO Jurassic World is back with new dinosaurs, new LEGO sets and an animated mini-series.
- LEGO Toy Story 4 sets –LEGO Toy Story 4 sets have been revealed, including LEGO figures of the new characters Bunny, Ducky and Forky!
- LEGO Movie 2 Space Palace, Sparkle Spa and Triple Decker Couch sets – The next wave of LEGO Movie 2 sets is coming, including three sets with more characters from the film.
- LEGO Movie 2 Rexcelsior set – The Rexcelsior comes with 1,826 pieces including micro-raptors, a rapid-fire missile system, and even “Stubble Trouble Emmet.”
TBB NEW YORK TOY FAIR COVERAGE: We are coming to you live from the New York Toy Fair. Read all of our hands-on coverage about the LEGO sets coming to a store near you this spring.
- LEGO Hidden Side sets close-up and video – This new series incorporates augmented reality to catch hidden ghosts in these spooky sets, and we got to play with them up-close!
- LEGO Star Wars Resistance and Action Battle sets close-up – These sets have some stunning angles as well as spring-loaded rubber projectile shooters.
- LEGO Star Wars 20th Anniversary sets close-up – We got the chance to see the new Star Wars sets that are throwbacks to the ones that defined a generation of LEGO fans.
- LEGO Jurassic World sets close-up – These new dinosaurs look great in-person and would go well with any new Flintstones set (hint, hint).
- LEGO Movie 2 sets close-up – The Rexcelsior and the Space Palace really dwarf the the other sets from the movie and look more impressive in-person for sure.
- LEGO Toy Story 4 sets close-up – Though Woody has shorter legs, these sets look fun for their price. Plus the Forky figure is just weird enough to be lovable.
- LEGO-themed merchandise close-up – Take a look at the LEGO-themed gear and merchandise we spotted at the 2019 New York Toy Fair, including Star Wars!
TBB NEWS & REVIEWS: After a very busy week of set announcements, we have our latest TBB news and reviews just for you!
- The LEGO Movie 2 Collectible Minifigures 71023 Feel Guide – Want to grab a full set of the latest Collectible Minifigures? We’ve got you covered with our handy cheat sheet.
- Review of LEGO 40349 BrickHeadz Puppy – We celebrated Saint Valentine’s Day with one of the most adorable LEGO BrickHeadz sets, a puppy!
- Feature: The LEGO Movie 2 performs poorly in first weekend while also being top movie in theaters – The long-awaited LEGO Movie 2 is out now, but its opening weekend under-performed. Read more about the film’s financial fate.
- LEGO wins four Toy of the Year (TOTY) awards at the 2019 New York Toy Fair – Congratulations to LEGO and all the hardworking designers and talent that went into winning four Toy of the Year awards.
OTHER NEWS: There were a ton of other LEGO news articles from around the web this week. Here are the best of the rest:
- The Making of Dragon Dance set 80102, LEGO – As Chinese New Year wraps up, we took the opportunity to talk to the designers behind this impressive set.
- Toys R Us tries for a comeback a year after going out of business, CNBC – Some former Toys R Us executives are looking to bring back the iconic retailer — Geoffrey the Giraffe and all.
- LEGO And Snapchat Just Opened A Clothing Store With No Clothes In It, Forbes – For London Fashion Week, the brands will open an augmented reality pop-up store to promote LEGO Wear’s first limited-edition clothing line for adults.
- LEGO’s Big Fictional Brand Is An Oil Company. Why?, Digg – How did the fake gas station brand turn into LEGO’s in-universe go to corporation?
- How LEGO Patents Helped Build a Toy Empire, Brick by Brick, Smithsonian Magazine – The Danish toy company invented its basic brick, but how did the legal system help preserve the company’s history?
- Tell us how you feel and we’ll show you a LEGO that feels the same way, QZ.com – Select a mix of emotions and our algorithm will piece together a matching LEGO face.
- Make LEGO Monorail From Your 3D Printer, Hackaday – There have been 3D-printable monorail sections for a while, but this may be the first printable locomotive and train.
- How ‘Catchy Song’ from the LEGO Movie 2 Got So Catchy, New York Times – How did the musicians behind the song make it so memorable?