Today at the New York Toy Fair, LEGO launched the next fan-inspired product in the LEGO Ideas lineup: 21316 The Flintstones. The set comes with 748 pieces that make up the Flintstones’ rock-made home, their iconic foot-propelled car, and minifigures of Fred and Wilma Flintstone as well as Barney and Betty Rubble.
The release is also timely with the newly announced dinosaurs from Jurassic World that could fit right into the prehistoric neighborhood of Bedrock. The set will be available to LEGO VIPs starting next week on Wednesday, February 20th for US $59.99 | UK £54.99 | CA $79.99.
Originally based on the fan submission from Andrew Clark, 21316 The Flintstones is the 24th LEGO Ideas set to come to fruition. The set is based on The Flintstones TV series, the first animated show to ever be aired in a prime-time slot starting in 1960.
From the back of the box, we see the roof is removable to more easily see and play with the set. The box also features yellow sides, a color not seen on LEGO Ideas sets since 21303 WALL-E.
The front of the set recreates the profile of the iconic Bedrock home with prehistoric plants, a buildable palm tree and printed Sabre-tooth tiger tiles used as curtains in the windows.
The house also comes with the family’s mailbox printed with ‘Flintstones’ on it. The back of the house opens up on hinges to expand the footprint of the playset.
Inside the Flintstones’ home, the living is decorated with rock furniture, artwork and TV, as well as a small kitchen and phone. For a bit of extra fun, LEGO included Fred and Barney’s bowling ball and pins too.
The Flintstones’s iconic foot-powered car can fit the four main characters and keeps a shape very close to the cartoon’s opening sequence when Fred exclaims “Yabba Dabba Doo!” then jumps into the vehicle. While the original submission features a brick-built roof, LEGO created a new white fabric piece to remain even more faithful to the cartoon. The set also comes with the laughably large dinosaur ribs that the Flintstones order from a drive-in restaurant during each episode’s closing credits.
The set comes with the four main characters in minifigure form. Fred Flintstone, Wilma Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Betty Rubble all use standard-sized legs in lieu of making Barney shorter like he is in the show. Interestingly, the graphic designers opted to eliminate the animated noses that make Fred and Barney’s look so iconic, though having no printed noses is standard for the majority of LEGO minifigures.
Taking a look at the original submission, LEGO appears to have remained faithful to the overall look and feel of the set. They opted to not include minifigures of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm that the original fan designer suggested, nor the “Welcome to Bedrock” sign or the car’s stand.
Additional photos and the press release from LEGO are included below.
Have a yabba dabba doo time at Fred Flintstone’s home!
Enjoy modern Stone Age suburban life in Bedrock with this LEGO Ideas 21316 The Flintstones collectible toy! A wonderfully nostalgic building toy, it features The Flintstones house and their iconic family car. The detailed house has a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, sofa, TV, coffee table, bowling ball and bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree. Build your own Flintstones vehicle that seats 4 minifigures and features a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element and an attachable dinosaur rib for creative play. The first animated TV series ever to be aired in a prime-time slot, The Flintstones cartoon was first broadcast in America in 1960 and has become an enduring family favorite around the world. Recreate hilarious scenes with the included cartoon character minifigures of Fred Flintstone, wife Wilma Flintstone and their friends Barney and Betty Rubble, or simply build and display this instant classic LEGO Ideas model.
- This LEGO Ideas building toy includes 4 new-for-March-2019 The Flintstones cartoon character minifigures: Fred Flintstone, Wilma Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Betty Rubble.
- The Flintstones home features a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, curtains and curtain rails, sofa, TV with aerial, kitchen sink, table and phone, fireplace, painting element on the wall, coffee table with fruit bowl and fruit elements, buildable floor lamp and lampshade, crate with a bowling ball and 3 bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree, 2 flower pots, flowers, plants and 2 milk bottle elements.
- Includes a buildable postbox with printed ‘Flintstones’ decoration, plus a letter element.
- The LEGO brick-built Flintstones car features 4 minifigure seats, 2 steamroller wheels, a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element, plus an attachable dinosaur rib.
- This creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about The Flintstones, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO designers.
- Build and display this collectible construction toy or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic American animated sitcom The Flintstones.
- The Flintstones Bedrock home measures over 4” (12cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
- The Flintstones car measures over 2” (6cm) high, 4” (11cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
Available exclusively to LEGO VIP’s directly through LEGO from Wednesday, February 20th via shop.LEGO.com and LEGO Stores.