In addition to the amazing LEGO models created by builders all over the world, The Brothers Brick brings you the best of LEGO news and reviews. This is our weekly Brick Report for the last week of December 2017.
TBB NEWS & REVIEWS: Another year here and gone, but the news still keeps on coming. We have a few reviews for your review as you revel in the revelry.
- Review of LEGO Architecture 21039 Shanghai skyline – The Shanghai skyline is among the most entertaining builds of the skyline Architecture subtheme, contains 597 pieces and retails at $59.99.
- Review of LEGO Star Wars 75205 Mos Eisley Cantina – The third version of the Mos Eisley Cantina is on its way, with 378 pieces for $39.99.
- Designer video for upcoming modular 10260 Downtown Diner – Mike Psiaki and Carl Merriam, former fans and now LEGO designers, show off the latest modular building.
- Only a few days to Bricks LA, Southern California’s premier LEGO convention, Jan 6-7 – Builders from around the country will gather at the Pasadena Convention Center to showcase more than 13,000 square feet of amazing creations to eager LEGO fans of all ages.
TBB 2017 YEAR IN REVIEW: Let’s look back at the year that has past, and see some of the amazing things that have been built out of LEGO.
- Shortlist announced for Brothers Brick LEGO Creation of the Year 2017 – To celebrate 12 months of great building, The Brothers Brick team has looked back over everything we’ve featured and pulled out the best LEGO creations of 2017.
- Brothers Brick LEGO Creation of the Year 2017 – After much discussion, The Brothers Brick is delighted to announce the winner. Click to find out what it is!
- Brothers Brick LEGO Builder of the Year 2017 – Who made it to the top and claimed our coveted Builder of the Year? The anticipation is killing me.
- Top 10 LEGO set reviews of 2017 on The Brothers Brick – We had fun building and analyzing many sets for you, but these ten ranked as your favorite.
- Top 10 most popular LEGO creations featured on The Brothers Brick in 2017 – What were the custom creations that you clicked on most? They are pretty spectacular indeed.
- Top 10 LEGO news articles of 2017 on The Brothers Brick – With re-releases and some massive sets available, what news stories made the biggest waves this year?
TBB INSTRUCTIONS: We have a frenzy of instructions for you, with the top ten of 2017 and a few extra for your building enjoyment.
- The 10 most popular custom LEGO creation instructions on The Brothers Brick for 2017 – Building a custom creation is awesome, but making instructions and sharing that creation is even awesomer.
- Instructions to build a cute orange LEGO fish – This little fish is a perfect showcase for using the natural shapes of LEGO bricks to form imaginative creatures.
- Build your own LEGO Yoshi, Baby Mario & Yoshi Eggs – The characters and pixels from Super Mario World come alive thanks to Mr. Hinkle.
- Instructions to build the wildlife of Scotland – Brick to the Past have provided guides to build your own Osprey, Deer, Capercaillie and Black Grouse.
OTHER NEWS: There were a few other LEGO news articles from varying places around the web this week. Here are the best of the rest:
- LEGO tower at 35 meters claims world record in memory of a young cancer victim, Sky News – Half a million bricks were used in Tel Aviv to build the tallest LEGO tower ever in memory of an eight-year old boy.
- LEGO kits are branded sexist by academics, Daily Mail – “Sets for girls focused on cooking while sets for boys encourage bravery” are the target of academic research while LEGO claims their sets can be played with regardless of gender.
- Parents laugh off ‘nonsense’ academics that claim LEGO is sexist, Daily Star – Education experts who claim LEGO is sexist are “talking out of their backside” say parents, who point to daughters playing with female superhero sets.
- LEGO is helping physics students stay in school, Mashable – Teachers at Flinders University in Australia are using LEGO cars to help introductory physics students understand concepts like measurement error and variability, as well as improving their lab reporting skills and confidence.