LEGO has revealed an entirely new product line of mosaic sets featuring pop culture portraits called LEGO Art. The four initial sets revealed include Iron Man, Marilyn Monroe, The Beatles, and Star Wars Sith. Each of the adult-targeted sets contains an average of 3,250 pieces, a new brick separator, several new elements, an exclusive signature tile, and instructions and extra parts to build 3 or 4 different designs per set. Each set comes with a curated building soundtrack, and as an added bonus, three copies of either the Iron Man or Star Wars sets can be combined to make an “ultimate piece” triple the size of a single portrait.
Each LEGO Art set comes in a box the size of a pizza and will retail for US $119.99 | CAN $149.99 | UK £114.99. The Iron Man portrait will be available globally (including the US) exclusively from LEGO on August 1st. The other three portraits will be available globally from LEGO and various retailers starting August 1st, except in the US which will have to wait a month until September 1st.
LEGO hopes that LEGO Art will be “a new canvas for creative expression” that allows adults to relax and give them a chance to create and display art based on their passions. The structure of each portrait is comprised of 9 new 16 x 16 stud mosaic plates which can be connected to each other with Technic pins to form the larger portrait. Each set comes with two new Technic wall-hanging elements as well as a new black separator specially crafted to assist in quickly reassembling mosaics into alternate versions.
The pieces will come pre-sorted by color, and the instructions will feature a “color by numbers” grid for assembling each mosaic plate. Each set comes with a unique printed 2×4 signature tile and additional black pieces to build a frame around the final portrait.
LEGO Art (previously rumored under the codename “Zebra”) can almost be thought of as LEGO Dots for adults, taking the 2D tiling technique to the next level. LEGO assures us that all the artwork in the following products were made by hand, and even contain 16 re-colors of 1 x 1 tiles and rounded studs to depict all the portraits.
31199 Marvel Studios Iron Man | 3,156 pieces
First in the LEGO Art lineup is Marvel Studios Iron Man. The set includes a whopping 3,156 pieces – with only 2,304 1 x 1 round studs ever used as individual pixels. The rest make up the frame and provide the extra pieces needed to reconfigure the portrait into two alternate versions.
The set comes with a “Marvel Iron Man” 2×4 signature tile as well as a downloadable building soundtrack including exclusive interviews with Roy Thomas, former Marvel Editor in Chief and stories from Alex Grand, Marvel expert and host of the Comic Book Historians podcast.
The three version’s of Iron Man’s iconic suit that can be made are the Mark III, the Mark LXXXV (85) and the Hulkbuster Mark I. If you want to build all three portraits simultaneously, three copies of the set will be required, though each set contains all the pieces needed to rebuild it into its different versions–including hundreds of extra pieces at any given time.
For the Marvel superfan, three separate sets can be combined and remade into an “ultimate portrait” of Iron Man with his hand extended and repulsor firing. The instructions for the ultimate build will only be available online after following a QR code link at the end of the instruction book.
31197 Andy Warhol’s Marilyn Monroe | 3,332 pieces
Next up, LEGO is diving into the pop-art world with Andy Warhol’s famous bright pink screenprint of Marilyn Monroe from 1967. This collection is made up of primarily round 1 x 1 tiles giving the portrait a flatter look.
The 3,332 pieces (including many new colors for the tiles) are used to create the bold color-blocking of each portrait. A printed 2 x 4 tile is included with Andy Warhol’s signature.
The set can rebuilt into a total of four unique recolorings of the original artwork with an incredible amount of extra unused tiles depending on the color scheme selected.
The accompanying building soundtrack for the Marilyn Monroe portrait includes interviews with Jessica Beck, Curator at The Andy Warhol Museum and stories from Blake Gopnik, art critic and the author of Warhol a comprehensive biography.
31198 The Beatles | 2,933 pieces
Moving to music, The Beatles are featured in the next 4-in-1 LEGO Art set. A single copy can be rebuilt into all four Beatles: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison or Ringo Starr. It also comes with an exclusive 2 x 4 tile featuring The Beatles logo.
The set uses 1 x 1 round tiles as pixels to create each portrait based on those from the Beatle’s White Album. The Beatles set is actually the smallest LEGO Art set coming in at 2,933 pieces, likely due to more crossover and color similarities between each bandmember’s portrait.
The downloadable building soundtrack includes interviews with Broadcaster and Beatles Expert Geoff Lloyd, British journalist and Beatles fan Samira Ahmed, and stories from Nish Kumar, Comedian, TV Presenter and Beatles fan.
31200 Star Wars The Sith | 3,395 pieces
Last up in the initial wave of LEGO Art is Star Wars The Sith, a menacing 3-in-1 collection depicting the baddies from a galaxy far, far away. The set comes with a 2 x 4 printed Star War logo tile.
The set is the biggest in the LEGO Art lineup with nearly 3,400 pieces–the majority of which are 1 x 1 round studs in many new colors. The accompanying building soundtrack includes interviews with Doug Chiang, VP and Executive Creative Director of Lucasfilm, and stories from Glyn Dillon, creator of the design for Kylo Ren.
The three Sith that the set can be rebuilt into include Darth Vader, Darth Maul and Kylo Ren. Each portrait is a unique depiction of the character confirmed by the Lucasfilm Archives according to LEGO.
Three separate Sith sets can be combined to make an ultimate Darth Vader portrait, a vertical piece with his red lightsaber in comparison to Iron Man’s horizontal ultimate portrait. The instructions for the ultimate build will be only available online, accessible through a link in the printed copy included in the set.
Each LEGO Art set will retail for US $119.99 | UK £114.99 | EU €119.99 available starting August 1st. That is just above a 3 cents per piece average. Even though the majority of the elements are small, the sheer amount of extra pieces can function as an exclusive parts pack of sorts if you intend to display the completed portrait and not rebuild it.
What do you think of LEGO Art? We can only imagine the breadth of LEGO Art sets coming in the future potentially including other iconic portraits from a seemingly infinite library of intellectual properties, tv shows, movies, artists, musicians, sports teams, vehicles, brand logos and more. Leave your thoughts in the comments below.
The LEGO Art press release, Iron Man product details, and an expanded photo gallery are included below.
Transform your passion into art: the LEGO Group puts pop-art back in the picture for adult builders
New LEGO Art sets featuring Marvel and Star Wars characters and famous celebrities help adults get into the right ‘frame’ of mind while creating their very own masterpiece.
Billund, July 1st: Today, the LEGO Group is launching a new canvas for creative expression alongside a series of much-loved partners. Designed for adults who pride themselves on their love of pop culture, four new LEGO Art sets give creative adults a different way to transform their passion into art.
Those who love Warhol or Marilyn Monroe, The Beatles or iconic characters from the Marvel Universe and Star Wars galaxy can pay homage to their idols by creating their very own LEGO artwork portrait to proudly display in their homes, offices or wherever they enjoy their music, film or art.
The LEGO Art sets offer adults a new creative experience to help them relax and recharge as they transform a blank canvas (or in this case, small interlinking base plates) using LEGO tiles. Each set can be reimagined in a number of different ways to express the personality of each different builder, and to make it easy and simple for pop culture lovers to refresh the LEGO Art piece on display in their house. All four new sets come with a signature tile unique to the set that is worthy of any true work of art, and a new hanging element to make them easy to hang up and switch around.
With new research from the LEGO Group finding that 73% of adults often research new ways to help them relax, each LEGO Art set comes with a bespoke soundtrack that makes the perfect building companion. Featuring fascinating anecdotes from the creators of Iron Man and Star Wars, or those closest to the stories of Andy Warhol and the Beatles, the soundtracks dive deep into the inspiration behind each design to help adults fully immerse themselves in the building experience and unwind while they explore their love of music, art or film in a new way.
The LEGO Marvel Studios Iron Man set will be available exclusively from LEGO Retail Stores and LEGO.com in most countries while the other three sets will be available from retailers from 1st August 2020, or from 1st September in the US.
- LEGO Andy Warhol’s Marilyn Monroe – Pop art admirers can now recreate Andy Warhol’s famous bright pink screenprint of Marilyn Monroe from 1967, or reimagine it in three different colours using LEGO tiles. As art and design lovers tailor the tone of their piece to suit their artistic temperament, they can tune in to new insights and details about Warhol from those that know him best.
- LEGO The Beatles – Music lovers can bring Beatle-fandom into the home with a LEGO portrait of their favorite band member, whether it’s John Lennon, Sir Paul McCartney, George Harrison or Sir Ringo Starr. Each set can be used to create four unique portraits or collect four and display the full band side-by-side. Fans can get by with a little help from friends of the Beatles as they switch their headphones over to accompanying soundtrack to listen to music and stories about the band as they build.
- LEGO Marvel Studios Iron Man – Super Hero fans can decide between powering their hero up with the MARK III, the HULKBUSTER MARK I or the MARK LXXXV with this 3-in-1 set. After the tough decision is made, builders can recharge by listening to cool details about the set and stories from Marvel Experts as part of the accompanying soundtrack. Fans who want to channel Tony Stark and ‘run before you walk’ can combine three of the same sets into one to create the ultimate Iron Man artwork.
- LEGO Star Wars The Sith – Celebrate iconic villains from a galaxy far, far away with this 3-in-1 portrait set. Choose between portraits that pay tribute to the Sith, with Darth Vader, Darth Maul or Kylo Ren, or take the artwork to the next level by combining three sets into an ultimate Darth Vader wall piece. The soundtrack means the Force will be with fans as they create their very own piece of wall art while listing to music from the films and fun stories from Star Wars
Louise Elizabeth Bontoft, Senior Design Director at the LEGO Group, commented: “We know adults are always trying to destress after a day at work, and we thought, what better way to help them switch off than by encouraging them to explore their favourite passion in a new creative way?
With these wider ranging designs, we believe that we can inspire film fans, music lovers and art and design aficionados to immerse themselves in a world of art and creativity linked to their idols. Through this new experience, we believe adults can unwind, engage in a mindful building activity and ultimately create a beautiful piece of wall art that perfectly reflects their personality.”
These new wall art sets are the second 2D tile creative concept to be announced by the LEGO Group this year, following the launch of LEGO DOTS, a new theme that offers children a new way to express themselves inspired by arts and crafts.
 Research conducted in 2020 by the LEGO Group among 18,435 adults globally.
31199 LEGO Art Marvel Studios Iron Man
Ages 18+. 3167 pieces
Explore an awesome way to relieve stress with this art set: If you’re a Super Hero fan, we have a thrilling set for you. Build 1 of 3 portraits of the iconic Iron Man suits of armor with this LEGO Art Marvel Studios Iron Man (31199) set, while you relish a creative escape from everyday life.
Ingenious project: Build 1 of 3 detailed portraits of Iron Man’s armor, the MARK III, the HULKBUSTER MARK I or the MARK LXXXV. If you want more, buy and combine 3 sets into an ultimate Iron Man piece. As part of this new LEGO building experience, listen to the included Soundtrack for stories and cool details about the set as you build. Finish the project with a Marvel Studios signature plate, then display it on a wall or shelf.
Artistic mindfulness: You don’t need to be an artist or have loads of LEGO models to enjoy the satisfaction of completing this wall art kit. This LEGO Art set is part of a collection of building kits focused on music, art, design and architecture, which make great gifts for anyone (including yourself) seeking a new project.
- Build this LEGO Art Marvel Studios Iron Man (31199) set, featuring a model with 3 build options. Display your favorite version of Iron Man’s armor on your wall or shelf after you spend quality time making it.
- Set your creative side free with this 3,156-piece LEGO set that includes 9 canvas wall decor plates, a Marvel Studios signature plate, brick-built LEGO frame, new hanging element and piece separator for easy rebuilding.
- Relieve stress while you create a unique LEGO portrait of the MARK III, the HULKBUSTER MARK I or the MARK LXXXV armored Iron Man suits. With the immersive Soundtrack, you can learn unexpected details as you build.
- Revel in your love of Super Heroes while building this unique LEGO kit. To really push your creativity, buy and combine 3 of the sets to create an ultimate Iron Man wall piece to display in your home or office.
- This 3in1 LEGO Art set measures over 15.5” (40cm) square. Display it on a wall or shelf, where its details help it stand out. It makes a great gift for you or another creative builder who’s into Super Heroes or Iron Man.
- No batteries needed. This art set for adults offers an immersive build with LEGO pieces and a unique Soundtrack. Escape your daily routine and create an incredible display piece.
- The coffee-table-quality instructions guide you through the project, starting with a deep dive into Iron Man before you begin building. Enjoy the Soundtrack made for this LEGO set while you assemble the piece.
- Perfect to display on a wall or shelf, LEGO Art models of iconic artworks, musicians, Super Heroes and Sith Lords offer you a rewarding building experience while you explore your passion for creative arts and crafts.
- LEGO building pieces meet exacting quality standards, which ensures they are consistent, compatible and work every time – it’s been that way since 1958.
- LEGO pieces are tested to ensure that every LEGO Art building set meets strict safety standards, making this Marvel Studios Iron Man wall decor piece as robust as it is beautiful.
Available directly from LEGO Stores & LEGO.com from 1st August 2020.