Today LEGO is officially taking the wraps off the latest set originating from its crowd-sourcing platform, LEGO Ideas. 21318 Treehouse is the largest Ideas set yet, with a whopping 3,036 pieces. It stands more than 14 inches tall and features leaves in two colors to build either summer or fall versions. First announced last fall, the treehouse features three cabins and four minifigures. Be sure to check out our full, hands-on review of it that we published earlier today, and continue reading below to see all the official images and information.
Despite the enormous part count, the set will retail for US $199.99 | CAN $269.99 | UK £179.99. It’s slated to be available in LEGO stores and the LEGO Shop Online tomorrow, July 24, though LEGO did accidentally sell the set briefly to very excited–and surprised–fans last week at San Diego Comic Con, before pulling it from shelves.
Set up as a fancy campground, this isn’t your average backyard treehouse. The massive tree contains three cabins, just like the original Ideas project by Kevin Feeser.
While LEGO has adapted the design and spruced it up, it does retain the removable roofs, curving stairway, and rope bridge.
One of the most interesting aspects of the set, however, is LEGO’s decision to include two sets of leaves. While Kevin’s project used entirely green leaves, LEGO has included an entire second set of leaves in autumn colors, including flame-yellowish-orange leaves, which are a new color for that element.
The leaves themselves employ LEGO’s new plant-based plastic, as do many of the botanical elements around the base. In total, there are more than 180 such pieces in the set, the most included in any LEGO set yet. The top of the box has a key displaying precisely which elements use plant-based plastic. If you want to learn more, check our article on LEGO’s sustainable plant-based plastic.
Below the leaves, the cabins are fully decked out with details. The three rooms are the main bedroom, the bathroom, and the kids’ room.
A nuclear family of four minifigures are included, with a mother, father, son, and daughter, each dressed in rugged camping gear.
Read the full press release below, and check out all of the images in the gallery at the end.
21318 LEGO Ideas Tree House | Ages 16+. 3036 pieces
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Detailed Tree House model to challenge LEGO® builders and inspire endless play!
Build, display and play with this intricately detailed, 3,036-piece LEGO® Ideas 21318 Tree House playset. A complex build for experienced LEGO builders that all the family will love to play with, it features a landscape base and 3 LEGO tree house cabins—a main bedroom, bathroom and kids’ room. The tree has interchangeable sets of green summer leaf elements and yellow and brown fall leaf elements—these and various plant elements on the base are all made from sustainable-plant-based polyethylene plastic—and the treetop and cabin roofs are removable to allow easy access. The model is packed with play-inspiring features including a buildable picnic table and seats, swing, bonfire, treasure map and hidden gem element to play out a treasure hunt, and a wind-up crane on the balcony of the bedroom cabin. A great birthday gift, this unique creative toy comes with mom, dad and kids minifigures, plus a bird figure, to role-play fun family scenes. It also includes a booklet with building instructions and information about this LEGO Ideas set’s fan creator and LEGO designer.
- This LEGO® Ideas set includes 4 minifigures: mom, dad and 2 children, plus a bird figure.
- This challenging, 3,036-piece building toy features a landscape base, tree with interchangeable sets of green (summer) leaves and yellow and brown (fall) leaves, and a LEGO® Tree House with 3 cabins—main bedroom, bathroom and kids’ room.
- The treetop and cabin roofs are removable for easy access and play.
- Landscape base features a buildable picnic table with 4 minifigure seats and assorted elements to create a picnic, plus a buildable stream, swing (hanging from the tree), bonfire, hidden gem element, plant and bush elements, and a ladder to the cabins.
- Tree foliage features over 180 botanical elements made from plant-based polyethylene plastic using sustainably sourced sugarcane. Assorted plant elements around the tree are also made from this plant-based plastic. This is the first milestone in LEGO® Group’s ambitious commitment to make products using sustainable materials by 2030.
- Main bedroom cabin features a buildable bed, and assorted elements including hidden scissors (as a reference to the fan creator’s day job as a hairdresser), ship in a bottle, compass, clock plus a balcony with a hand-operated, wind-up crane to lift items up to the cabin.
- Bathroom features a buildable bathtub, toilet and sink.
- Kids’ room features bunk beds and assorted elements such as a book and treasure map.
- This LEGO® Ideas creative toy comes with a booklet with building instructions and information about this awesome set’s fan creator and LEGO designer.
- Measures over 14” (37cm) high, 10” (27cm) wide and 9” (24cm) deep.