LEGO has officially revealed the largest set from The LEGO Movie 2, the massive 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg! Clocking in at 3,178 pieces and twelve minifigures, the set features the post-invasion home of the main characters located in a broken down Statue of Liberty (à la Planet of the Apes).
The set will be available starting January 16 for $299.99 for LEGO VIP members, with general availability beginning February 1st.
Welcome to Apocalypseburg! is the twentieth set revealed so far based on upcoming sequel (not counting polybags). The location is featured in the most recent trailer after the post-DUPLO invasion. It appears Apocalypseburg is the temporary home of the original LEGO Movie characters who now look like they have seen better days (with the exception of the always cheerful Emmet).
The set stands more than a foot and a half tall (52cm) which is taller than last year’s similarly themed Architecture set 21042 Statue of Liberty (though this time around Lady Liberty has a fully detailed face and a few more dangling chains).
Apocalypseburg is slightly reminiscent of 70620 Ninjago City in that both are based on major locations in popular LEGO films that have been made into a “hero” set for a more experienced builder, each with a plethora of detailed minifigures and detailed interiors.
The set offers detail on every side, including hidden rooms and functions on the back. The color palette of sand and olive green combined with tan, dark tan and light grey immediately conveys a weathered look fitting a worn-down and tired post-apocalyptic society.
The collapsed statue is surrounded by a ruinous city made of containers filled with a variety of interiors including a coffee shop, holding cell, armory, barber/tattoo parlor, gym, diner, spa and a few living quarters.
Apocalypseburg comes with twelve minifigures, all of whom look like they have gone through the wringer and evolved to face a tough life. Emmet is smiling as always. Lucy sports a new brown scarf, goggles and a quiver of arrows. “Scribble Cop” isn’t looking too happy and has metal-spiked shoulder pads as well as a few more zippers on his uniform. Batman has the biggest upgrade with pauldrons made from LEGO tires.
Fellow Master Builder Green Lantern looks like he is as oblivious as ever. A new character to the LEGO Movie franchise, Harley Quinn makes her first appearance (looking almost exactly as she appeared in the live action Suicide Squad movie). “Where’s My Pants” Guy still hasn’t found his pants yet but looks ready for a fight. Surfer Dave has become Chainsaw Dave with the tattoos to prove it.
Larry the Barista has opened up a new “Coffee Unchained” cafe and looks like Bane from The Dark Knight Rises film. Joining him are three new characters Mo-Hawk, Roxxi and Fuse.
Each minifigure comes with a variety of accessories including coffee cups, binoculars, clubs, surfboards, a chainsaw, and more. (We are sad to report that no “sewer babies” have been spotted in Apocalypseburg.)
The apocalypse is nigh, arriving January 16 which will wonderfully devastate your wallet for $299.99. The LEGO Movie 2 hits theaters on February 8.
Build and role-play with this huge THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ Apocalypseburg model!
Enjoy an epic 360-degree play experience—and prepare for an alien invasion—with THE LEGO MOVIE 2 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg! construction toy. An advanced building set, it has over 3,000 pieces and presents an awesome challenge even for master builders. This THE LEGO MOVIE 2 set features a section of the Statue of Liberty with a chill-out room in the head, café, Scribble Cop’s office with a chair-kicking function, armory, barber’s/tattoo parlor, Lucy’s hideout, Fuse’s workshop, rooftop diner, gym, spa, lookout platforms and loads more! This action-packed toy also comes with 12 THE LEGO MOVIE 2 minifigures to role-play and reimagine your favorite scenes from the blockbuster film.
- This creative toy includes 12 new-for-January-2019 THE LEGO MOVIE 2 minifigures: Emmet, Lucy, Batman, Scribble Cop, Harley Quinn, Green Lantern, ’Where are my pants?’ Guy, Larry the Barista, Chainsaw Dave, Mo-Hawk, Roxxi and Fuse, plus a rat figure.
- This huge Apocalypseburg construction toy has removable modules for easy play and features a section of the Statue of Liberty, café, Scribble Cop’s office, armory, barber’s/tattoo parlor, Lucy’s hideout, Fuse’s workshop, rooftop diner, gym, spa and more!
- The Statue of Liberty section of this THE LEGO MOVIE 2 playset features a buildable torch, opening Lady Liberty head with a chill-out room including a buildable telescope, and 3 lookout platforms.
- The Coffee Unchained café features a service counter, cash register, buildable coffee machine with 2 coffee pumps, table and seat, and an outdoor table with a parasol and 2 seats.
- Scribble Cop’s office features an opening jail door and chair-kicking function.
- Armory features a mannequin, goggles, 3 minifigure helmet elements and 2 buildable weapons.
- Barber’s/tattoo parlor features a barber’s chair, buildable tattoo machine and hair-cutting tool elements.
- Lucy’s hideout features a buildable bed with a secret compartment containing various fun elements including a love letter from Batman. The room also features weapon storage and assorted elements including new-for-January-2019 barbed wire.
- The removable roof of Lucy’s hideout has a buildable seat, engine truck front and water tower.
- Fuse’s rooftop workshop features a buildable tool chest with a buildable fire extinguisher.
- Rooftop diner features a buildable V8 engine deep-fat fryer, table, oven, ketchup and mustard dispensers, plus frying pan and food elements.
- Train-carriage-shaped gym features a buildable punching bag with alien invader decoration and a weightlifting bench.
- Truck-shaped spa features a buildable hot tub and shower.
- This THE LEGO MOVIE 2 toy building set also includes Chainsaw Dave’s surfboard rack with 2 surfboards, lookout area with a buildable telescope, an opening sewer and various ladders.
- Weapons for THE LEGO MOVIE 2 characters include Lucy’s crossbow.
- Accessory elements include Emmet’s 2 coffee mugs, Lucy’s quiver, plus 6 new-for-January-2019 Skeletron head elements (1 as a basketball; 1 on a signpost; 1 as engine decoration; 2 as hair mannequins; and 1 on the armory mannequin).
- Recreate fun-packed scenes from THE LEGO MOVIE 2 with this awesome Statue of Liberty toy.
- This new-for-January-2019 toy measures over 20” (52cm) high, 19” (49cm) wide and 12” (33cm) deep.
Available from LEGO Stores & shop.LEGO.com starting Wednesday, January 16 for LEGO VIP members.