In addition to the amazing LEGO models created by builders all over the world, The Brothers Brick brings you the best of LEGO news and reviews. This is our weekly Brick Report for the last week of July 2018.
TBB NEWS: Harry Potter stole the show this week with the reveal of the massive “microscale” Hogwarts Castle, along with a few winter themed sales to whet your LEGO whistle.
- Harry Potter Hogwarts Castle is 2nd-largest LEGO set ever – With more than 6,000 pieces, this “microscale” castle is one of the biggest sets ever created.
- LEGO Voltron now available – Speaking of big sets, the largest ever LEGO Ideas set 21311 Voltron is now on sale for LEGO VIPs, coming in at $179.99 for 2,321 pieces.
- Get a free Nutcracker during LEGO’s Christmas in July sale – Today is the last day to grab some winter-themed LEGO sets on sale to cool you down from the summer heat.
TBB REVIEWS: Are you ready for a brand new wave of sets coming in August? We have your early reviews right here to get you ready.
- Review of LEGO Star Wars 75218 X-wing Starfighter – The classic white X-wing is back after appearances in orange and blue, coming in at 731 pieces and four minifigs for $79.99 USD.
- Review of LEGO Star Wars 75216 Snoke’s Throne Room – Likely the most iconic scene of The Last Jedi, this set comes with 492 pieces and 5 minifigs for $69.99 USD.
- Review of Newsweek Special Edition: LEGO – The toy that changed our lives – Did the magazine get everything about LEGO right? Read our review to find out.
OTHER NEWS: There were quite a few other interesting LEGO news articles from around the web this week. Here are the best of the rest:
- The LEGO Minifigure Celebrates Its 40th Birthday, Newsweek – As big kids continue to have little kids of their own, there’s no end in sight for the popular reign of the minifigure.
- South Korean seller of imitation LEGO product receives fine and suspended jail sentence, LEGO.com – A seller of counterfeit LEGO brands including LEPIN, LELE and SY received a 10-month jail sentence and nearly $10,000 fine.
- Inside LEGO’s Amazon voice strategy, Digiday – Lego is spending more money on Amazon, using everything from video advertising to voice to augmented reality.
- LEGO launches surprise LEGO-themed MTR express in Hong Kong, Marketing Interactive – LEGO has rolled out Hong Kong’s first themed railway car until 15 August.
- How LEGO Voltron was designed, Tested YouTube – Tested takes a look at some of the early prototypes for the set at SDCC that helped prove the design was viable.