Welcome back to the wizarding world of LEGO Harry Potter. Seventeen years since the first wave of magical sets hit shelves, LEGO announced today that an entirely new line of sets based on the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts film series will launch August 1st, 2018.
The first set in the re-launched LEGO Harry Potter theme will be 75954 Hogwarts Great Hall with 878 pieces and 10 minifigures, available August 1st for $99.99 USD.
The set, loosely based on the first two Harry Potter movies (Sorcerer’s/Philosopher’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets), includes ten minifigures with all-new printing and several new molds. The students, now sporting shorter legs and new magic wands, include Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger (with new bushy hair), Draco Malfoy, and for the first time, Susan Bones.
The minifigures of professors, staff, and creatures at Hogwarts include Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, Professor Quirrell (with reversible Lord Voldemort face), a significantly updated Hagrid holding a new lantern and pink umbrella, and ghostly Nearly Headless Nick (another first for the theme).
Additionally, the set comes with a Hedwig owl figure, new printed rat figure representing Scabbers, as well as a buildable Basilisk snake and Fawkes the phoenix.
The interior of the Great Hall includes an incredible amount of detail, including four new floating candle pieces, a large amount of new 2×2 lattice window panes, and a brand new molded Sorting Hat. The set also features two reversible house banners, a roaring fireplace, the house cup, a moving staircase, and a reversible Mirror of Erised.
On the exterior of the set, gone are the sand green towers used in the last five iterations of Hogwarts, replaced with striking dark grey which more closely resembles the film version of the magical castle. The tower measures 14 inches tall and is topped with two newly colored sand green ski poles, likely paying homage to its brick-built architectural forbearers.
Additionally, twelve new 1×1 centered triangle pieces in tan decorate the main roof, a new piece sure to come in handy in many other applications. With the standard cheese slopes on the tower and pyramid pieces adorning the exterior walls, this set is quite the 1×1 tan slope extravaganza. Other details include newly colored spires, blades and unicorn horns, new leaf pieces, several microfigures representing statues, and a few stickers to add more character to the tan walls.
Interestingly, the sides of the Great Hall include Technic pin holes, where it appears that additional sets could be more easily connected than the confusing and sprawling maze of disjointed Hogwarts sets from previous Harry Potter waves. These additional sets will likely be revealed soon. One thing is for certain: We will also be getting LEGO Harry Potter BrickHeadz characters, confirmed by LEGO as well.
LEGO Harry Potter has certainly come a long way the past seventeen years from yellow minifigure faces to several LEGO Dimensions sets. But we are extremely excited to return to the new and improved wizarding world this summer and relive the magic of Harry Potter by building it with LEGO bricks.
The full press release from LEGO is included below. Product description and article have been updated with the latest information provided by LEGO. The Brothers Brick will bring you close-up photos of this set and more from the New York Toy Fair this weekend, so stay tuned.
LEGO Harry Potter
75954 Hogwarts Great Hall
878 pieces | $99.99 USD | $129.99 CAD | Available August 1, 2018
Welcome to magical adventures at the Great Hall at Hogwarts!
Build and recreate magical scenes from the Harry Potter movies with this detailed 4-level LEGO Hogwarts Great Hall play set, featuring a fireplace, benches, tables and reversible house banners, plus a tower with a spiral staircase, potions room, treasure room, sorting hat, Mirror of Erised and lots of assorted magical artefact accessory elements. Includes 10 minifigures and buildable Basilisk and Fawkes creatures, plus Hedwig and Scabbers figures.
- Includes 10 minifigures: Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Draco Malfoy, Susan Bones, Professor McGonagall, Professor Quirrell with dual Lord Voldemort face, Hagrid, Albus Dumbledore and Nearly Headless Nick, plus buildable Basilisk and Fawkes creatures, and Hedwig and Scabbers figures.
- Features the buildable Great Hall and a tower.
- The Great Hall features tables, head table with seats, fireplace, 2 reversible house banners and 4 ‘floating’ candles, food (turkey leg, ice cream and a small cake) brooms, trophy cup and a teapot
- The 4-level tower features movable Grand Staircase spiral steps at its base, potions room, treasure room with chest and a turret featuring the Mirror of Erised with changeable pictures and roosting spot for Fawkes.
- Also includes a boat with hanging lantern.
- Place the pupils in the boat and sail to Hogwarts Castle.
- Help Hermione and Susan create magical potions.
- Feast in the Great Hall, then use the sorting hat to select the pupils’ houses!
- Welcome the new students with Hagrid, Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall.
- Use the magic wands to pitch Harry against Draco in the Dueling Club!
- Swoop Fawkes into battle and help Harry battle the giant Basilisk serpent.
- Gaze into the Mirror of Erised with Ron and change the picture.
- Turn Quirinus Quirrell into Lord Voldemort by rotating his head!
- Recreate iconic scenes from the Harry Potter movies.
- Accessory elements include 7 wands, 3 tumblers, umbrella, lantern, broom, sorting hat, cauldrons, potions, candles, 2 wizard brooms, food, trophy, teapot, chest and a spider.
- Hogwarts Great Hall measures over 14” (37cm) high, 6” (17cm) wide and 11” (30cm) deep.