In addition to the best LEGO models created by builders all over the world, The Brothers Brick also brings you the best of LEGO news and reviews. This is our weekly Brick Report for the first week of June 2017.
TBB SET NEWS: When it rains, it pours! This week we’ve gotten an early look at the new Old Fishing Store and Thor sets, along with availability of LEGO’s new Summer wave. Happy shopping!
- LEGO Ideas 21310 Old Fishing Store revealed — The latest addition to the LEGO Ideas range is a stunning 2,049 brick set based on a design by Dutch builder Robert Bontenbal, and available September 1st.
- Summer 2017 wave of new LEGO sets now available, including Star Wars, Saturn V, and more — Summer is here, and the floodgates of LEGO sets have opened with 55 new sets available this week.
- LEGO Boost is now available for preorder — LEGO’s new coding and motorization toolkit is now also available for pre-order from the LEGO Shop, shipping August 1.
- LEGO officially reveals sets for Thor: Raganarok — Some amazing new minifigures join the Marvel Super Hero lineup with two sets from the anticipated upcoming Thor movie.
TBB NEWS: We feature two parts of the world with fan-inspired giveaways, interviews from LEGO headquarters, some instructions for a sleek speeder bike and a chance to win a set.
- Hong Kong LEGO stores offer limited edition space-themed mini builds — In conjunction with the Hong Kong LEGO User Group (HKLUG), LEGO produced an instruction booklet and giveaway models to coincide with the launch of the 21309 NASA Saturn V.
- Malaysian cultural icons featured in exclusive mini-builds — A collaboration between LEGO and the fan community in Malaysia has inspired brick-built versions of local cultural icons offered as part of a Gift With Purchase promotion in Malaysia for the month of June.
- Meeting the LEGO designers in Billund — The Brothers Brick was at the LEGO House in Billund, Denmark this week speaking with LEGO designers from the Star Wars, Ideas, Boost, Creator Expert and Architecture teams, along with the TT Games team behind LEGO Worlds.
- Interview with the LEGO Ideas 21310 Old Fishing Store design team in Billund — The Brothers Brick was on location at LEGO headquarters to meet the team behind this stunning set. LEGO graphic designer Mark Tranter, fan designer Robert Bontenbal, and LEGO designer Adam Grabowski were on hand to talk through some details.
- Instructions for an Apple-esque speeder bike in white — This build by James Shields gives us a visual delight as white seems quite right for these scout trooper speeders.
- The Brothers Brick 2017 Readers’ Survey — You could win a Millennium Falcon set by simply sharing your thoughts with us. We would love to hear from you!
TBB REVIEWS: From Quadjumpers, bounty hunters and speed champions, TBB has the in-depth reviews you crave including Star Wars and Speed Champions this week.
- LEGO Star Wars 75178 Jakku Quadjumper — For a vehicle that only has three seconds of screen time, this set is a fun, quick build with a decent selection of minifigs. Maybe you can get the ship off the ground, because Finn and Rey never did!
- LEGO Star Wars 75167 Bounty Hunter Speeder Bike Battle Pack — Here come the bounty hunters! With four in one pack, your collection of rogues is about to increase.
- LEGO Speed Champions 75877 Mercedes-AMG GT3 — You basically get two cars for the price of one, with the ability to perform a little minifig maintenance on this set.
OTHER LEGO NEWS: This week had a few other interesting LEGO-related news articles, so here are the best of the rest.
- How LEGO clicked: the super brand that reinvented itself, The Guardian — The revival of LEGO has been hailed as the greatest turnaround in corporate history, ousting Ferrari as the world’s most powerful brand.
- The Influence And Legacy Of LEGO Island, Kotaku — Far out in a digital ocean of blue bricks sits the often-forgotten LEGO Island. It represents the true beginning of a silly and customizable universe that has brought enjoyment to millions of players around the globe.
- How LEGO built its culture of innovation, brick by brick, CMO — David Gram spends a lot of time working with plastic bricks in his roles as marketing director for LEGO’s Future Lab and senior innovation director at its Creative Play Lab.
- The LEGO Group Launches Full Global Media Agency Review After a Disappointing 2016, AdWeek— The LEGO Group is looking for a new ad agency for the first time in more than 15 years, leaving their current agency Starcom.