The LEGO Minecraft world just got a whole lot bigger. Today LEGO has announced the largest set yet for the minifigure-scale theme, 21137 The Mountain Cave. Coming in at a staggering 2,863 pieces and a retail price of $249.99 when it arrives July 1, young Minecraft fans had better hope Grandma has deep pockets if they put this on the wishlist (though the set does also hit the highest age target in the Minecraft theme at 12+). This is the second large exclusive for the Minecraft theme, following last year’s 21128 The Village.
As the name implies, the set features a sizable stone mountain (12in, or 31cm, high at the peak) that’s riddled with caves. The mountain’s footprint is 20x11in (53x29cm), and has minecart tracks, a small home, and a light brick that can be positioned to light a jack o’ lantern, lava, or several other features. The set features lots of new printed elements, along with two minifigures and 13 mobs, including some new ones such as a baby wolf, bats, a charged creeper, and a giant slime. As with other large exclusives, we expect it to be available about two weeks early for LEGO VIP members.
Official press release:
21137 The Mountain Cave
Ages 12+. 2,863 pieces.
US $249.99 – CA $299.99 – DE 249.99€ – UK £259.99 – DK 2099.00 DKK
Experience the Mountain Cave!
Build and experience the Mountain Cave, featuring an amazing minecart track with an integrated redstone‑powered minecart elevator, and an array of other features and functions, including TNT blasting, rotating spider‑spawner, charged Creeper™ explosion and a lava burst. Position the light brick to illuminate the rotating spider-spawner, wall of redstone, jack o’lantern, first-night shelter, furnace, lava or the torch above the cave entrance. Enjoy hands‑on Minecraft™ adventures featuring your favorite characters and objects with this easy-to-reconfigure, modular LEGO® Minecraft set designed for young fans of the highly successful sandbox video game. Includes Steve and Alex minifigures, plus 13 mobs including a charged Creeper™.
● Includes 2 minifigures: Steve and Alex, plus a cave spider, wolf, baby wolf, slime, 2 small slimes, 2 bats, zombie, enderman, skeleton, sheep and a charged Creeper™.
● Features a minecart track with an integrated redstone-powered minecart elevator; 2 minecarts; first-night shelter with bed, crafting table and torch; a mountaintop shelter with bed, torch and furnace; plus a light brick, trees, waterfall, lava and extra torches.
● Open up the model to access the detailed interior and remodel with easy-to-connect modular sections.
● Remove the diamond ore elements and activate the lava burst function.
● Activate the revolving cave-spider spawner.
● Trigger the charged Creeper™ explosion function.
● Jump aboard the minecart and race around the track, and travel to the mountaintop aboard the redstone powered minecart elevator.
● Blast through the mountain with the TNT to extend the rail track.
● Position the light brick to illuminate the rotating spider-spawner, wall of redstone, jack o’lantern, first-night-shelter, furnace, lava or the torch above the cave entrance.
● Enjoy easy access to the detailed interior.
● Put on your golden armor, grab your diamond sword and shield, and prepare for battle!
● Weapons include a sword and a bow.
● Accessory elements include a Minecraft™ clock, spider eyes, signs, map, golden armor, shield, TNT and 8 ore style elements, including diamond, lapis lazuli, emerald, redstone, golden, iron and 2 coal ores.
● Easy-to-reconfigure, modular design—choose from 3 different model configurations.
● Set your imagination free—rebuild the set for more LEGO® Minecraft™ creations!
● Measures over 12” (31cm) high, 20” (53cm) wide and 11” (29cm) deep.
As shown on the back of the box, the various modules can be rearranged to alter the landscape.
The small stone home has a creeper face made of ice blocks.
The home is equipped with a map, creeper head, bed, and oven, among other things.
A single light brick is included. It slots into a variety of play features. Fortunately, these lights are cheap, with plenty available for a little over a $1 a piece, so it shouldn’t be too hard to get enough to light up everything at once.
The moveable light brick can be positioned to light up the torches, such as this one in a small overnight shelter.
Or this one above the mine entrance.
Alternatively, it can be used to make the redstone glow.
Or to give a deadly red glow to the lavafall beside the tracks.
Another use for the light brick is to illuminate a good old jack o’ lantern.
Finally, it can lend the cave spider spawner an eery glimmer.
The spider inside the spawner can also spin, thanks to this dial on the mountain’s exterior.
As with many Minecraft sets, a TNT block can blow a hole in a section of terrain.
Alex gets a full set of diamond armor and a shield. The shield seems to make use of the new 2×3 tile. Meanwhile, Steve gets iron armor and an enchanted pickaxe for extra lucrative mining (or perhaps just faster mining).
The skeleton and zombi share a set of gold armor.
The new charged creeper is just waiting to ruin your day in an extra big way. The large 4×4-stud slime is made almost entirely of trans bright green elements, with what appear to be two printed eyes.
They may look cute, but both wolf and baby wolf feature the red, angry eyes that indicate they’re hostile mobs.
Bah bah black sheep. We’ve had white sheep for awhile, and recently the Waterfall Base featured an azure blue sheep. But now we finally get the classic black sheep. And last (and certainly least, if we judge by size) is the harmless bat. Featuring a new printed 1×1 plate, you’ll get two of these guys in the set.
Other mobs are included for a total of 13, though the others have all appeared in previous sets.