UPDATE: 10193 Medieval Market Village is now available from the LEGO Shop online!
LEGO Castle fans have wanted more civilians, more women, and more non-equine animals for a very long time — something a little more like this:
With the announcement of 10193 Medieval Market Village last night during opening ceremonies at BrickCon 2008, there should be no doubt in anybody’s mind that LEGO listens to fans like us.
Click each photo in this post for full-size, high-res versions:
Here’s the full description (my bolding, for emphasis):
Expand your LEGO® Castle kingdom!
This classic medieval village with marketplace is a perfect match for any LEGO Castle. Full of authentic features, fun accessories and all-new animals to expand and enhance your kingdom; it includes two complete buildings with detailed interiors like a blacksmith’s shop with waterwheel-driven hammer, a food stand, tree, table, cart, cows, horse, chicken, rooster, duck, peasants, knights, rare elements and colors, and more!
- Includes 8 minifigures: blacksmith, 2 soldiers, 2 male peasants, 2 female peasants and a boy minifigure!
- Play inside! The 2 two-story buildings feature a hinge system that allows you to open and close them as you wish!
- The yellow building contains the stables, blacksmiths shop and his home upstairs! Help the blacksmith forge the swords with the working water powered trip hammer! Don’t forget to close the stable gates and feed the horse some carrots!
- Blacksmith’s home features pictures on the walls, opening windows, table and fireplace!
- The classically European styled blue building features a cozy tavern on the first floor and welcoming bedroom on the top floor!
- Lots of authentic touches: fireplaces in the bedrooms, pictures on the walls, dressing tables, working doors and windows and other interior details!
- The soldiers and peasants alike shop and eat in the marketplace filled with baskets of fish, apples and flowers. Sit at the table for a meal of ale, cheese and whole turkey but stay out of the way of the soldiers carrying the king’s treasure!
- Buildings measure over 7.5″ tall and over 9″ long when open wide!
The set contains 1,601 pieces, and the price varies by country:
- Australia: $149.99
- Canada: $149.99
- United Kingdom: £84.99
- United States: $99.99
Reaction by LEGO Castle fans attending BrickCon was ecstatic (click the picture for more 10193 pictures from BrickCon):
A few observations of my own:
- New feather/fire piece in red and trans-orange
- New table leg/column piece
- New fish and cows
- Whole turkey (it bears repeating)
- New torsos for the three male peasants, blacksmith, and tavern wench
- Peasant girl otherwise available only in 7979 Castle Advent Calendar
- New faces on the blacksmith and senior-citizen peasant
Finally, one more look at the minifigs and accessories:
Wow. January can’t come fast enough!