BrickCon 2014 is less than two months away — October 2nd through 5th in Seattle. Each year, starting with Zombie Apocafest 2008 and continuing through Big in Japan and Numereji 2421, The Brothers Brick sponsors a collaborative display for our readers. After five continuous years, we took a break last year, but we’re back this year with “ChronoCon 10,000 BC.”
The basic idea of ChronoCon is that it’s a convention for time travelers and time travel enthusiasts. We were inspired last year by the release of the official Back to the Future DeLorean and the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, but the great thing about a convention for time travelers is that it can be held any time! So, you know, we’re not a year behind schedule after all…
Chaos and anarchy are built into the underlying theme, so please don’t expect a lot of guidelines from us — the whole point is to get creative. We do expect intersecting timelines, anachronisms, and paradoxes, so the parking lot outside the ChronoCon venue will likely have multiple DeLoreans and a variety of TARDISes (bonus points for not arriving in a DeLorean or TARDIS).
That said, we have three very broad guidelines that will help pull the overall display together:
- The overall scale is minifig-scale.
- The underlying baseplate color is Green. ChronoCon takes place in a primordial jungle.
- If you introduce a major paradox or anachronism (like a Roman army marching in to fight some velociraptors), create an appropriate time portal, vortex, or wormhole that explains it.
Here are the prize categories (subject to change, addition, and our whim):
- Best Time Machine: After all, how did all the time travel enthusiasts arrive in 10,000 BC?
- Most Amusing Anachronism: Mash up those timelines and get building!
- Fiercest Fighting Dinosaur: Yes, there will be a dinosaur battle arena!
- Best Convention Booth or Event: What’s a convention without T-shirts, celebrity signings, panels, and knick-knacks?
There’s a ChronoCon 10,000 BC group on Flickr, where you can see photos we’ve collected so far of LEGO models consistent with the general idea, as well as discussion threads.
If you haven’t registered yet for BrickCon, do it now. And then get building!
I’m not 16 yet, so i can’t make one for BrickCon, but I will certainly be there. Can’t wait to see you guys!
Be sure to swing by and say hi!