In addition to 55 new LEGO sets launched this week, LEGO Boost is now also available for pre-order from the LEGO Shop (shipping August 1). The kit was launched at the CES technology conference earlier this year and TBB was there to get a first look at the entry-level coding and motorization toolkit. We also got to sit down with the Boost designers in Billund this week, so stay tuned for an inside look at this intriguing new system. The 17101 Boost Createive Toolbox will retail for $159.99 and will include 840 pieces, plus a LEGO Move Hub, Interactive Motor and a Color & Distance Sensor
The impressive base set includes sensors, motors and an app which serves as the brains and interaction point for coding, essentially teaching anyone who uses it how to program. At $160, which is a far cry cheaper than $350 for the more complex Mindstorms EV3, we predict that Boost will quickly find favor among LEGO fans and schools alike, since it has potential to bring the more complex creations of adult LEGO builders to life.
Here is the full product information from LEGO:
Combine the versatile LEGO® building system with advanced technology to boost your creativity with the awesome LEGO BOOST Creative Toolbox. Download the free tablet app to your device and follow the step-by-step instructions to build and code any of the 5 multifunctional models. Experience Vernie the Robot—a moving and talking robot; the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4)—a robust, versatile rover with 4 different tool attachments including a spring-loaded shooter; the Guitar4000—a musical instrument with pitch bend and sound effects; Frankie the Cat—an interactive pet that plays, purrs and expresses its mood; or the AutoBuilder—an automated production line that really builds miniature LEGO models! Bring your creations to life with the app’s intuitive, icon-based coding interface and complete an array of exciting activities designed for each model. This set also includes a playmat for use with specific activities, and a LEGO BOOST wall poster! Please go to LEGO.com/devicecheck for a list of all compatible devices.
- Includes over 840 LEGO® pieces, plus a LEGO Move Hub, Interactive Motor and a Color & Distance Sensor.
- Move Hub features Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity, 2 encoded motors, activation button, internal tilt sensor and a light.
- Interactive Motor is an encoded motor.
- Color & Distance Sensor detects distance, motion and color, and can also function as a light.
- Check out the cool white, orange and blue color scheme.
- Rotate Vernie’s head to activate its shoulder-mounted spring-loaded shooter.
- Build the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) and try out the different tool and customization attachments to prepare the vehicle for an array of exciting activities.
- Learn how to play a song and rock out with the Guitar4000.
- Look after your own pet with Frankie the Cat. Be sure to feed it the right food—or it might get upset!
- Construct, code and operate the AutoBuilder to produce real miniature LEGO® models.
- Build and code robots and models, and complete exciting activities with the playmat and intuitive LEGO® BOOST app, available for iOS and Android tablet devices.
- Easy-to-use intuitive software with icon-based drag-and-drop coding interface.
- Building instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO® BOOST app.
- This product requires batteries (not included). Please refer to the product packaging for type and quantity.
- Go to LEGO.com/devicecheck for a list of compatible devices. Ask your parents’ permission.
- Vernie the robot standsover 10” (27cm) tall.
- M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4) measures over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
- Guitar4000 measures over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
- Frankie the Cat stands over 6” (17cm) tall.
- The AutoBuilder measures over 10” (27cm) high, 7” (19cm) long and 6” (16cm) wide.