LEGO has just announced an intriguing new set that brings together nearly all of the modular building series, going all the way back to the classic 10182 Cafe Corner — 10230 Mini Modulars. The set is due out in January 2012, and will only be available to LEGO VIP Program members.
The set comes with 1,356 pieces and will retail for $80 in the States. It includes Cafe Corner (of course), Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium. I guess we’ll have to wait for the recently released Pet Shop until later (or build your own!).
We’ve seen LEGO fans create mini/microscale versions of these sets for years (including Matthew Raehl’s mini modular street, mumu’s pre-release micro 10182, and many more), but it’s great to see an official LEGO take on this concept.
See lots more photos in the photoset on Flickr.
Here’s the complete press release from LEGO:
10230 Mini Modulars
Ages 12+. 1,356 pieces.
US $79.99 CA $99.99 DE 69.99 € UK 59.99 £ DK 649.00 DKK AU $119.99
Available only to our LEGO® VIP Program Members, this exclusive mini modulars set is an authentic miniature representation of the first 5 buildings in the Modular Building series: Café Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium. Featuring highly detailed design, each building can be displayed as a stand alone piece or connected to the others buildings in the set. The mini Café Corner includes details like a fan above the doorway and printed hotel signage, while the mini Market Street includes transparent bricks and a unique brick construction. The quaint mini Green Grocer also features transparent bricks and a fire escape at the rear, while the mini Fire Brigade includes a brick bell and white arch wall elements. Finally, the mini Grand Emporium has a rooftop sign, skylight and window washing platform. With fantastic detailing and a huge variety of elements in a range of rich colors, this exclusive mini modulars set is the perfect addition to every VIP Member’s collection.
- Exclusively available to LEGO® VIP Members!
- Authentic miniature representation of first 5 Modular Buildings: Café Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium!
- Each building can be displayed individually or connected to the other buildings in the set!
- All buildings feature fantastic detailing and a wide variety of elements and colors!
- Completed model measures over 5″ (14.5 cm) tall, 12″ (32 cm) long and 2.5″ (6.5 cm) wide!
- Each individual building measures 2.5″ (6.5 cm) long and 2.5″ (6.5 cm) wide!
Watch this space for a video message from the LEGO designer who created this set.